Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

Problem solved

So, what is the solution to cheap offshore aluminum rocker arms? In this case the solution was even cheaper made in USA, stock stamped steel rocker arms. Until the solution sat up and presented itself to me I was contemplating replacing the aluminum rocker arms with some high end quality rockers. Names like Harland Sharp, Comp Cams, Crane, T&D, Jesel, etc.. come to mind here. I was about to pull the trigger on some of the new CompCams Pro-Magnum steel rockers even though the price was dear, when it dawned on me that the 440 Source heads were designed to use an all stock valvetrain. Knowing I had some brand new heavy wall rocker shafts on the shelf, the decision to order some rocker arms from Melling was easy. Yes I knew I would have to wait and measure for the correct pushrod length but that is no biggie. Once I knew the length I needed, the Melling catalogue was again the source for the correct part number. A day later with pushrods in hand and about 15 minutes of assembly had the engine ready for fire up again. The engine fired without fuss and a stethoscope on the valvecovers was used to verify that the valvetrain was quiet and happy. Which it was. After a quick warmup some dyno pulls were made and wouldn't you know it? Horsepower was down about 12 HP but it held on 300 rpm longer (lighter rockers than the aluminum ones) Low end torque was up about 5 ft/lbs but down the same at the peak. The aluminum rockers were a 1.6 ratio versus the steel ratio of 1.5 so giving up that bit of lift and duration cost the engine a little power but not enough to worry about in this case. I will sleep much better knowing the valvetrain is as solid as an anvil now. J.Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment